Student Wellbeing as Self-Expression
The scope of Wellbeing is evolving as both K-12 and Higher Education become increasingly explicit about looking after cohorts.
I believe there is an opportunity to equip students with skill-sets that make their Wellbeing a form of Self-Expression.
How Can We Do This?
As a Coach, I like to break things down in a universal manner that communicates to anyone, from any cultural or religious / non- religious background. I believe and know that it is possible to break down Wellbeing into four key “pillars” of life.
- Self-Care delves into Physiology and Lifestyle.
- Relationships explore what is meaningful, what is toxic, and what is healthy.
- Pursuits bring awareness to the art of fulfilment as well as the science of success.
- Perspectives empower students to deal with the challenges.
Being Intentional with Wellbeing
It has been show that one’s happiness levels are 40% driven by one’s intentional activities, 50% by genetics, and only 10% by circumstances *
* Lyubomirsky, S., Schkade, D., & Sheldon, K.M. (2005). Pursuing happiness: The architecture of sustainable change. Review of General Psychology, (9)2, pp.111-131.
It is possible to break down one’s intentional approach to the four pillars of Self-Care, Relationships, Pursuits, and Perspectives. Yes, it is absolutely a form of personal development, but I say, why wait until you are an older Adult to truly find yourself?
I am passionate about showing Students how to take control of these intentional activities, because by doing so, they have agency.
Building Self-Esteem and Inspiration
We live in a world that can seem out of control and sometimes Youth don’t posses the confidence or self-esteem to know what they want. I feel that, as Educators, it is our responsibility not only to set them up for Academic success, but to explore Visions and to give them Strategies to achieve. In my opinion, one can only achieve this when students know who they are.
If you don’t know who you are, how can you aim at what what you want?
Going Deeper Down The Rabbit Hole
As well as equipping students with universal strategies across these four pillars, it is crucial to tailor to the individual. After conducting hundreds of workshops, I know how important it is to speak to the person in front of me and not just the group. Quite rightly, students are asking, “but what about me?”.
In order to answer this question, I feel Education needs a psychometric methodology. Psychometric tests give us insight into the personality traits and natural talents that transcend title, age, nation, or whatever else might be on a CV.
CliftonStrengths is a Solution
Why CliftonStrengths For Students?
Students are at a pivotal point of life, soon to join or re-join the workforce.
- The CliftonStrengths Assessment gives insight into how they naturally think, feel, and behave, going deeper than CV or skills based career advice.
- By knowing their Strengths, students are better equipped to find careers of both fulfilment and high performance.
- CliftonStrengths is a leadership methodology used at all levels of multi-national corporations. Completing such work adds to their leadership toolkit.
- People who do focus on their strengths every day are six times as likely to be engaged in their jobs and three times as likely to say they have an excellent quality of life. (Gallup)
That’s a compelling conversation.
Imagine if Educators could know the Strengths of their Students, know the correct Strengths-Based language to communicate with, and bring out the best in young peoples’ hearts and minds?
This is What I Want for Students
I want a world in which Students can walk into an interview, walk into a new relationship, walk into a challenge, and know themselves.
I want them have confidence that they are talented.
I want them to know they are unique.
And, I want them to know that there is diversity in the way we all look at the world.
Everyone has needs and everyone has a contribution to make.
Let’s celebrate the human spirit and let’s foster natural talent.